Rattlesnake Reservoir

Posted on 18th March 2010 by Electra Glide In Blue in Living, Motorcycle Rides - Tags: , , ,

With highs reported to be in the upper 60’s today, and a storm warning for Friday (5 to 10in of snow) I took off on the 49 Pan with no particular place to go. I headed west, when in doubt, head west young man. That’s what I’ve always been told.

Heading into the foothills on hwy 34, I was picking up the smells of spring. After crossing the Big Thompson River the second time and I hung a left onto County Road 29. Any farther west and I’d be dropping into the Big Thompson Canyon, which wasn’t a bad idea I thought, but I wanted to get high today and look to the east. A good place around here to get high enough to maybe see Kansas is the road up to Rattlesnake.

County Road 29 follows the foothills and is a nice curvy blacktop. If you run this for about two miles, you come up on County Road 18E, you can only turn west and it’s clearly marked for Carter Lake, Flatiron Reservoir, Pinewood Reservoir,
and Ramsay-Shockey Open Space.

When you run County Road 18E all the way up, you gain about 2640 ft in elevation. Trying too keep your eyes on the road is a challenge, for the views are breath taking. So is the thought of the small guardrail that separates you from nothing but air.

The road ends at Pinewood Reservoir, or Pinewood Lake as it is sometimes called, or Rattlesnake Reservoir as it is called locally. There is good fishing I have been told, and it’s a nice place to have a bagged lunch.

Built in 1951 and named Rattlesnake Reservoir because of its location in Rattlesnake Park, the names were officially changed to Pinewood in 1966. I think it had something to do with tourism.

I saved taking any road pictures for the trip down. This shot is at the highest point of the trip and looking west.

And all the rest are east bound pictures and you can click on them for a larger image.
On a clear day you can see Kansas…….

Going down……..

• Facebook
  • StumbleUpon
  • MySpace
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn

6 Comments »

1. Nice! I had the same thought and went for a ride to the west today too, but I only went as far as LaPorte. I don’t think I’ve been on the route you wrote about. I’ll have to check that out.

Thanks!

Comment by Abby bikerchickdates.blogspot.com — March 18, 2010 @ 9:15 pm

2. Abby,
    Next time your heading up Carter Lake way, check it out. You get some great views up there.
    Thanks for stopping by.

Comment by Electra Glide In Blue my68flh.com — March 18, 2010 @ 9:59 pm

3. Dear Jeff:

What a great ride! Very nice pictures. Beautiful motorcycle. Does that bike have an electric starter, or do you have to kick it? Was the road plagued by sand or gravel?

I spend the afternoon checking out the K75 today. I am riding tomorrow.

I’m horrified to hear that you have another major storm coming. I thought it was all behind us for this winter. Then again, if I have a choice of us or you getting it, then the best man won.

Fondest regards,
    Jack • reep • Toad
    Twisted Roads

Comment by Jack Riepe jackriepe.blogspot.com — March 18, 2010 @ 10:09 pm

4. Jack,
    The bike is kick start only, 1949 model, you should see the brakes!

The roads were clear, no sand or gravel. Spring storms here move through fast, 60’s today, 30’s and snow tomorrow, Saturday back up to the 50’s with sun.

You better get out tomorrow and do some riding so you’ll be good-to-go on your Sat run! I will be waiting for the report.
    Ride safe Jack and thanks for stopping by.

Comment by Electra Glide In Blue my68flh.com — March 18, 2010 @ 10:37 pm

5. Hey Jeff,
    Lovin’ the bike…those bars are kickers for sure! The tombstone tail light…ahhh!
    I see your running an S&S carb…I was wondering if you had to make many adjustments as your elevation climbed? I found with mine on my ‘59 pan… that if I went above a certain elevation I was making adjustments till she ran properly again…then once more adjusting when back to normal levels for the bike…how about you…?

I’m out and about tomorrow on my bike. Still not sure if I will head east to the mountains and meet up with a buddy in Boone NC….or if I will head west and meet up with a group I’ve started to ride with lately…HMMM I think it will be Boone, (leaning hard that way)
    Be well Jeff.

Comment by Chessie chessiestales.blogspot.com — March 19, 2010 @ 6:43 am

6. Chessie,
    Yep running an old S&S B, I have no problems in the 4,000 to 8,000 elevation range of the home turf around here. I do run a little rich, can’t remember the main jet size I’m running though.

Thanks for stopping in, you need a pic of that pan on your site.
    Ride Safe.